BioBag produces a brand of certified 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable bags made from the material, Mater-Bi. Mater-Bi is a degradable plastic made with GM-free corn starch, vegetable oils and compostable polyesters – making Mater-Bi a material which is easily both compostable and biodegradable. BioBags are designed to be composted and returned naturally back to the earth, and compost down to just water, CO2 and residual organic carbon (compost), leaving no harmful residues at all.
- No polyethylene is used in the production of BioBags.
- There are no chemical additives to enhance decomposition. The bags biodegrade naturally when expose to the earth’s elements and micro-organisms in the soil.
- BioBags “breathe”, which allows heat and moisture to escape or evaporate. This feature reduces bacterial build-up of collected waste, thus reducing odor.
- BioBags will decompose in a controlled composting environment in 10-45 days, leaving no harmful residues behind.
- BioBags will decompose in a natural setting at an extended rate comparable to other naturally biodegradable materials, such as paper, leaves and food waste.
To maximise the shelf life of your BioBags, we recommend storage in a cool dry place. For more information on the technical aspects of BioBags, please visit their website.